Saturday, June 30, 2012

Introvert/Extrovert Demystified. How I Relate.

LOVE IT!!! I found an awesome blog, go to it: 10 Myths About Introverts I'm going to post the ten myths and talk about it. It's basically how I relate. Remember, these are myths.

1. Introverts don't like to talk: This is hilarious, because I love to talk. Sometimes, I need to shut up. But, at the same time, if I don't know you, or feel uncomfortable around you, I shut down. I'm like the little shy three year old who doesn't know how to do anything but smile. If I'm comfortable around someone, I'll make up stuff just to make myself laugh, and hopefully the person I'm talking to, too! One time, I heard these guys in class talking about girls. Crud, they mentioned me, they was like: she never talks. Ha, wanna bet! Also, I LOVE talking about philosophical stuff, nature and people in general. Even if I'm stupid in relation to the topic. I don't care about the latest cell phone. Again, I'll make small talk for the sake of it if I feel like it. So, if you're like, um, she never talks, it's because you're talking about something stupid. I kind of feel like a hypocrite though, because here lately, I talk about all kinds of dumb stuff.

2. Introverts are shy: Sure, at first. Definitely. Later, um, you're probably regretting befriending me, because I am so not shy. Now, that depends, however, I mean, I'm not going to do rude things, like belching and stuff, that's just gross. If I like you, I'm likely more nervous than shy. I think there's a difference. If you're complimenting me, sure, I'll act shy, but if I know you too well, I'll be like, yeah, I'm great...haha, but I'm only playing.

3. Introverts are rude: Sure. Haha, not really. I mean, when I was in High School, people thought I was mad a lot. Um, no, just...not smiling. Not mad, just there; alive. And sometimes it's nice to just be.

4. Introverts don't like people: I really didn't like people and that's because I thought they didn't like me. It was only after I started to talk more that I realized that people actually cared what I said. That, and I smiled. Even if I said something and was totally ignored (hate that) I let it roll off my shoulders (or something) and found that I was a lot happier. It was only when God came into my life that I started liking people. If God weren't with me...I'd hate everyone. Haha. Maybe I shouldn't divulge that information.

5. Introverts just don't like to go out in public: I do, but not if I'm smack dab in the middle of it with everyone looking at me. With time, I feel more secure. I just realize that they're all people like me and it really doesn't matter what these nut heads think. So I do what I have to do. I found that they usually don't dislike me after all, and if they do, they're good at keeping it to themselves, thankfully.

6. Introverts always want to be alone: You bet! No, not entirely. I mean, after a while, I love being alone, I like the silence. I love talking to myself (don't judge) and I love singing out loud like an idiot, oh, that and dancing in the kitchen, though the floor hurts my bare feet; it's hard to turn. Anyway, I mean, I used to get ultra lonely, and still get lonely sometimes, but really, I need my space. Mostly, I need someone to be in the house, to be quiet and leave me alone, to clank a dish downstairs, but not necessarily interact with me. So, in essence, I would still be alone (= good) but not utterly alone (= bad). I really enjoy time with my friend Brehonna, who comes over and writes (we ignore each other during this process, though she sits at the table with me). I like people and I like alone time.

7. Introverts are weird: You bet! Sure, they are in societies eyes because society doesn't understand them. I'm more crazy, I think.

8. Introverts are aloof nerds: Um, Brehonna and I wag our glasses. Great, what does that make us? Don't answer. People used to think I was mean. Ha. If they'd just talk to me, they'd know better. I used to hate it when people wouldn't give me a chance. I'm like screaming in my head: I am so capable! And if the rare chance arrived and I got to prove myself, they'd be like...wow. IKR. JK. But yeah, I think people definitely thought I was unapproachable. One guy told me once that he'd watched me. He was like, you always sit in the back, you never speak up. And I'm like...you watched that? Okay...and...I'm more comfortable there. If someone would shut up a half a second, I might pipe up, but it's those extroverts talking too much and I can't get a word in. Okay, I'm totally kidding, but kind of being truthful. And in truth, I did really fit better in the back, because I really didn't have anything to say. I didn't care for what the peeps were talking about. Really. I think it comes down to your company and if they're polite enough to care what you have to say.

9. Introverts don't know how to relax and have fun: This depends on what one classifies as fun. I like sitting on the floor with my friend with a pile of books around us, acting like we're agents, reading the blurbs and deciding if we'd represent or not. One, it's stupid, and two we learn: what makes a good blurb (therefore how to write one) and the sort. Why something works and why it doesn't. There's a method to our nerdiness. Fun for me is working in the flowerbed...I take that back, that thing is spider paradise. Anyway. Fun is doing nothing sometimes. Writing, drawing, playing games...you've got it, the boring stuff!!! But that doesn't mean that as an introvert I don't like roller coasters and the idea of paint balling and rock climbing. I'm just at peace doing little things.

10. Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts: Nope, I just learn how to cope. If I'm with someone who's mad and screaming, I shut down. I'm like so not there. I then need to run around the block. I'm not the type who could ever make myself handle that better. It's happened in the past in a certain situation. As much as I want, which I really don't, I'm not the type who wants to jump up in the middle of a crowd and steal the show. Nope, I'm happy listening. I'm HAPPY doing that.

One of the good things about this post is that the writer (that I got the points from) tries to make the point that introverts are normal. Of course they are, but they're different from extroverts. Who is to say that us introverts don't view extroverts as not being normal? It's just the way we are, whether that be intro or extro verts. I think I'm a little of both, though in the past I was most certainly more introverted than I am now. Really, click on the link at the beginning of this blog and read. It's awesome. And then read people's comments, they're awesome too. I totally identified.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I love your blog so far.

    The only thing I would change is the gray background and white font! It's hard to read.

    xx

    ReplyDelete