Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Query Scary

After many years - okay like 3 years - of writing, I sent out my first query letter today. The first one ever. Believe it or not, it wasn't too scary. Really, it felt like jumping into a river without a life jacket. I almost completely expect to get rejected, that's how the system works. I've learned that it's normal, actually. As a writer, I should expect to get rejected. It's a part of the job, and if you think about it, I only need one person to represent me. So if I send out to thirteen people, it only figures that I will have to go separate ways with twelve of them. So it simply has to be.

It is a known fact that writers should get beta readers before submitting their work. I let my friend read it and took a good majority of her advice and incorporated it into my manuscript. Two other people were supposed to read it, but let's face it, never are (I am muy disappointed in their lack of dedication to being a constructive criticizer - it also made me think my work was whack). There was only one other person who read about half of it (it was all I could give her at the time) and she was really encouraging.

It's scary to send it out. It's a big step. It's like saying, here, judge my baby and tell me how ugly/worthless it is. I can only hope that one day it won't be rejected by everyone and that it will get one person who is willing to represent me and my work. That's what they say, it only takes one. And then I think about Twilight in the sense that so many people hate it, yet, so many people love it. I'm not comparing my work to Twilight, but I am saying that one's man trash is another man's treasure. That's why finding the right agent is key; that's why research is essential. I hope I did a good job. I've also prayed about it. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment