Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Writing Hero

        When I was in High School, I hated to read. No, wait, let me correct that, I hated being forced to read. I in fact loved to read, only, I wanted to read what I wanted to read. I believe that at some point I picked up the novel Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson...all I remember thinking is that this girl's life sucks, and so does her dad. (This was the scene where Melinda comes home from school and disappears into her room). I picked the book up at Good Will about a week ago, thinking I'd give it a chance. WOW. I can't believe I missed out on this. Where was I three or four years ago? This book simply is amazing. 
        For those who don't know, Speak is about a girl who is raped before starting her ninth grade year. Everyone hates her because she busted up a party by calling the cops...no one knows she was raped, except for Andy Evens, who manages to haunt her every single day.
        I love to write, and I even try to write with meaning, but after reading this book...my writing, I hope, will never be the same. Laurie Halse Anderson has encouraged and inspired me to be a better writer. My writing has new meaning now. Not only that, but I really enjoyed her book so much, that I felt like crying. Yes, it makes sense to enjoy a book so much that you could even cry over it. Not many books can make me do that. 
        I picked up Anderson's other books, which, though I haven't read them yet, in themselves inspire me. She writes Historical thriller fiction as well as contemporary YA. I can't wait to get started on these. Anderson is my writing hero. And I know that to many other readers out there, that her work has helped them tremendously. Awesome. Here's her picture and a picture of her book, Speak.


No comments:

Post a Comment